Answers to frequently asked questions about using this site.

How do I activate my burn permit?

To activate your burn permit, log into your account and hit the activate burn button on your approved burn permit. You must have an open burning permit in order to activate a burn. If you do not, apply for a permit here.

How do I know if it’s safe to burn?

The website homepage will be updated when burning is not allowed, and you will not be able to activate a permit if conditions are unsafe.

When can I apply for an open burning permit?

Open burning applications open each year in November.

How much does a burn permit cost?

A burn permit and agricultural permit cost $10 per season.

How can I pay for my permit?

Pay online at this link: https://epay.cityhallsystems.com/selection
Please allow 24 hours for permit approval when paying this way.


Remit a check or money order for $10 payable to the Town of Dighton. The payment should be sent to:

Dighton Fire Department
300 Main St
Dighton, MA 02715

Please allow 5 to 7 days after sending payment for permit approval.

How do I know if my permit has been approved?

You will receive an email at the email address you entered at registration with your permit approval information.

How do I know if I qualify for an agricultural permit?

Only individuals/households that grow a crop or livestock for commercial resale qualify for an agricultural permit.

Open Burning Permits & Restrictions

The Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) and your local fire department limit open burning for public health and safety reasons. Learn when and where open burning is allowed, and how to do it safely.

Open Burning is Allowed from January 15 to May 1

Open burning is allowed from mid winter to early spring across most of Massachusetts. It is prohibited in 22 densely built and populated cities and towns. The following information is compiled from the Open Burning Safety page on the Mass.gov website.

Burning Requirements

If open burning is allowed in your community, contact your local fire department to obtain an open burning permit in advance.

State fire wardens determine each day whether conditions are safe for open burning. Weather and air quality can change rapidly, especially in the spring, and fire departments can rescind permits when that happens.

Open burning must be done:

  • Between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from January 15 to May 1
  • At least 75 feet from all buildings
  • As close as possible to the source of material being burned
  • When air quality is acceptable for burning. Call the MassDEP Air Quality Hotline at (800) 882-1497 or visit MassAir Online to find out if it is.
  • Communities where open burning is prohibited at all times: Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Chicopee, Everett, Fall River, Holyoke, Lawrence, Lowell, Malden, Medford, New Bedford, Newton, Somerville, Springfield, Waltham, Watertown, West Springfield, Worcester
What Can I Burn?

You are allowed to burn:

  • Brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris (but not from commercial or industrial land clearing)
  • Agricultural materials including fruit tree and bush prunings, raspberry stalks, and infected bee hives for disease control.
  • Trees and brush from agricultural land clearing
  • Fungus-infected elm wood, if no other acceptable means of disposal is available

You may not burn:

  • Leaves
  • Brush, trees, cane or driftwood from commercial or industrial land clearing
  • Grass, hay, leaves, stumps or tires
  • Construction materials or demolition debris
  • Household trash
What Times are Best for Open Burning?

You can help prevent wildland fires by burning early in the season. Wet and snowy winter conditions help hinder the rapid spread of fire on or under the ground.

Changing weather conditions and increased fire danger in spring can lead to many days when open burning is not allowed.

April is usually the worst month for brush fires. When snow recedes, but before new growth emerges, last year’s dead grass, leaves and wood are dangerous tinder. Winds also tend to be strong and unpredictable in April.

What are the Alternatives to Open Burning?

While still allowed in most Massachusetts towns and cities, open burning has disadvantages.

The combustion process releases carbon dioxide, other gases, and solid substances directly into the air. This can make it difficult for people with respiratory problems to breathe. It can also cause smoke and odor nuisance conditions for neighbors.

Disposing of natural materials is never as good for the environment as recycling them. Ask your public works or solid waste department if your community chips or composts natural debris into landscaping material.

What Other Types of Outdoor Fires are Allowed?

With the fire department’s approval and supervision, a community may schedule:

  • Christmas tree burning between December 26 and January 7 (although recycling trees or “planting” them in dunes to control beach erosion are more beneficial to the environment)
  • One ceremonial bonfire each year to observe a municipal, state or national event
  • A bonfire between July 2 and July 6 in observance of Independence Day

Outdoor cooking is allowed year-round in all communities and is not subject to open burning limits.

With specific approval from MassDEP, local fire departments may also stage outdoor fires for purposes of fire prevention or protection research and training

What about Fire Pits?

Fire pits have become popular in recent years. But unless they are being used  for cooking, they are subject to the MassDEP open burning regulation and require a permit. If you do use a fire pit for cooking, the fire must be:

  • Kept to a reasonable size
  • Located away from combustible materials
  • Contained in a non-flammable enclosure, and
  • Tended by someone who is 18 years of age or older.

Remember to burn only clean, dry firewood. This will minimize the amount of smoke leaving your property and affecting neighbors. You may not burn trash, refuse or similar materials.

Some cities and towns regulate, limit or prohibit the use of chimineas, fire pits and outdoor fireplaces. To find out if your community has specific requirements, contact your local fire department.

What is an Agricultural Permit?

An agricultural permit is required for open burning activities in Dighton associated with the normal pursuit of agriculture. Only individuals/households that grow a crop or livestock for commercial resale qualify for this type of permit.

Open burning activities allowed with this type of permit include, but are not limited to, the open burning of blueberry patches for pruning, dead raspberry stocks, fruit tree pruning and affected beehives for disease control. In addition, an agricultural burn permit allows open burning of brush and trees resulting from agricultural land clearing operations.

An agricultural burn permit is valid through the end of the calendar year, and carries an annual fee of $10.

Agricultural burn permits are effective two hours after sunrise until 4:00 p.m. when the fire should be extinguished.

News or blog subhead

Visit the Blog
Chief Christopher Maguy and the Dighton Fire Department would like to share school bus safety tips for students and motorists… Read more
Chief Christopher Maguy, on behalf of the Dighton Fire Department, would like to recognize and celebrate educators on World Teacher's… Read more
Chief Christopher Maguy and the Dighton Fire Department are urging residents to “Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety” to help… Read more